I’ve just settled an inner debate I’ve been having for some time. The debate has been about a smaller room in my apartment, and whether to turn it in to a walk in closet, or a home music studio for music production, voice recording and other creative work.
The room itself isn’t large, but it’s sufficient enough to consider both options. It’s located inside my bedroom, which also makes it a good choice for both purposes.
As of now, my current voice recordings are made under a blanket, with a shotgun mic connected to my phone. It’s not an ideal situation to produce something professional, but some clean up work in Adobe Audition can make it decent.
I’m going for the studio. There are several advantages of this, and I’ll list them below:
- A home studio can also be used to study in peace and quiet
- It will free up space from my bedroom and I won’t need a desk there anymore.
- I spend a lot of my time doing things that a home studio would significantly raise the quality of, and make easier
- A home studio is a room that could convert creative work into money
- I already have quite a lot of equipment required for a studio, so much less investment costs than building a walk in closet. Interior closet modules can be freaking expensive, even from Ikea.
- A walk in closet will probably raise the value of the apartment when it comes time to sell, but having a home studio it will be easy to cheaply transform it into a good looking walk in closet in time for sale
- Moving studying and creative work to a separate room from my bedroom will improve my sleeping habits and I’ll be able to more strictly enforce my “no social devices in bed” rule
So those are my main reasons! It’s going to be really fun to plan it. I get to do more carpentering and interior design which I love! I’m thinking of going with a classy English gentleman’s country club style: Green, dark wood, gold. Needless to say, my home studio will have a chandelier.
What else do I need? The biggest expense is going to be a stationary computer and a high resolution screen. I’m planning on investing in a computer anyway, so that’s in the yearly budget calculation. Something I don’t know how to do is build a custom PC from scratch, so that will be a fun project that my brother also wants to learn. Looking forward to it! Here are some inspirational pictures of home studios.